Tuesday, April 29, 2008

MY FIRST TRANSPACIFIC CROSSING ON PAL DC 8 SAMPAGUITA



on my first transpacific flight to San Francisco, 1967, i was in kinder, my dad, om and i was in first class, PAL has 8 seats only for first class, the name of our plane was sampaguita, during those days PAl has three DC 8 sampaguita, CHampaca and ilang ilang.
i remember that we were suppose to fly too SFO with my dad's political opponent which he defeated, and we have to change the date of our flight so that the two would not meet in first class...
the Manila International airport was so lenient that time for us, i remember so many well wishers brought us to the airport, the VIP room was full of our acquaintance then, some even brought flowers and gifts for my parents inside the plane. I remember the sampaguita flowers in my neck was up to my nose, it was our trip just after winning the election, my dad wants to rest for 10 days , it was nov and in January 1, he will be assuming his new post it was my third trip, (my first was to bacolod city 1965 on a BAC1-11, ) next was to Hong kong again on a BAV 1-11 PAL) this time i was so excited because this is a very big airplane at that time a McDonnell Douglas DC8. that we will be sleeping over night.

when i entered the cabin there where only 2 seats in each side, the stewardess named "Annie" made extra effort to remove the center arm rest so i could seat in between my parents, as i always sleep every night, it was a long long night flight, we leave at 10pm . arrive at Honolulu early morning at fly again eastward to San Francisco and arrive at night.



i remember the coldwind that i experience when they open the aircraft door in SFO airport

No comments:

jojie claudo blog

My photo
Pasay City, Philippines
jojie claudio , my blog ay storia ng aking buhay , minsan eto at Diary ko, album and note pads, mula sa aking pagkabata hangang ngayon, sanay magustun nyo basahin ang mga blog entries ko eto,